Tuesday, February 7, 2012

First Visit to Plastic Surgeon

On today is 2/7 and I went to the plastic surgeon that Dr. Levy referred me to.  Dr. Jospeh DiBello.  Very nice and easy to understand about what my options were.  Again I felt very comfortable with my decision once again.

I have chosen to have a double mastectomy with two step re-construction with plants.  The reason I have chosen to have both of them removed is because the left one is very anger and unstable with cancer cells right now and there is a chance that the cancer could come back in the right breast.  So why chance it.   Some people think this may be the extreme but because of the uncertain nature of this type of cancer and it being agressive.  I feel that we should be agressive back. 

So there are several options for the re-construction.  Implants or taking part of your stomach, back or leg fat and put them into the skin that is left after the mastectomy.  Well I thought that the replacing the breast with stomach tissue would have been the safety bet but turns out I was incorrect.  My best option is going to have implants.  But there is a process that needs to be done.  After the mastectomy, they put expanders under the muscle and start to fill them with saline to create a pocket for the real implant to be place in after treatment.  It seems to be that is it not the best to have the real implants in during radiation.  So looks like at 39 years old, I get to see my boob grow all over again.  Once the expanders are in I go back over several weeks and they fill them to the size that the real implant is going to be.

The recovery period is about 2 - 3 weeks but I know it is the best thing to do for my health at this point.  It is going to be rough but I have a wonderful family and friend support system.  Stay tune to more information tomorrow.   We go to see Dr. Levy tomorrow to get the final decision on scheduling of the surgery.

Thank you for all for your prayer and good thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment